Sunday, September 2, 2012

Episode 6 - Ashley - A Talk With Zoey Lancaster


I went to the park that Friday for a morning jog. The breeze was calm and the weather was slightly cold. Some old people were doing tai chi by the courts. I was panting lightly after I stopped jogging when I got a text message. It was from Zoey and she wanted to meet me at the Moonbucks - our local hangout place. I texted her back and said okay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next to the Dean Enright Station, there is a strip mall and the Moonbucks is inside. I went in and found Zoey already waiting there. I looked at my watch and it was 3 in the afternoon. I was just in time. Zoey saw me and gave me a big hug. We sat and ordered from the menu.

"Why did you ask me to come?" I asked.

"Oh you know, just for fun." She said playfully.

I looked at her and it was one of those moments when you just exchanged smiles with your bestfriend. The waiter delivered my chocolate chip yogurt and Zoey's blueberry mocha shake. I still have no idea how Zoey drinks that. Tried it myself a few times and almost puked.

"So how are you and Zale?" she started and gave me the same look she gave at the school gate.

"Why are you so interested in him?" I asked sharply and smiled.

"Oh, I don't know. He seems interesting." She said again. "He's already friends with you and it's not even his first day in school. Which raises a lot of questions. How did you two meet?"

I almost choked on my yogurt.

"Sorry. Must've been personal." she apologized.

I looked at her for a short while. "Nothing's personal anymore right? We're best friends." I said and smile.

Zoey smiled back and I told her everything. How Zale met me under the rain. How I was weak in his arms. And how we became friends. Zoey's mouth opened wide when I told her how Zale lifted me up on the roof and I kissed him on the cheek.

She took a while to let it sink in. And when it did . . .

"Ooooooooooh my goooooooooood, you guys are sooooo sweeet!!" She said it so loud, people started turning heads. When she realized that, she looked around and gestured 'sorry'. I couldn't help but to smile.

"Yeah, I know." I said

There was a quick moment of silence. "But what's wrong?" Zoey asked knowingly.

"I . . I don't know, Zoey . . It's just he seems too good to be true." I said my doubts. "Plus, I just kind of broke up with my boyfriend."

"Hey it's easy, we'll make him chase you! Or maybe he'll manipulate you into chasing him . ." she said lost in her own world and completely ignoring me.

"Hey!" I flicked my spoonful of yogurt at her face playfully.

"Oh sorry. Hey, don't do that!" Zoey said and we both laughed.

"And besides, I don't think Zale is the kind of guy who would manipulate girls into chasing him." I said confidently and finished my yogurt.

"But you've fallen for him."

No comments:

Post a Comment